- A semi conductor is an element which has 4 electrons in its valence orbit ex carbon
- If a small amount of another element (phosphorus, Aluminium) is added to the semi conductor material, the new crystal will have either extra electrons ( N-TYPE) of too few electrons ( P-TYPE)
- Term Diode means ” two Element”
- A small voltage develops where the crystals join called the barrier voltage
- Diodes have polarity , Neg lead is short, Pos is long lead (backward does not work)
- A capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is a passive electronic component with two terminals. The effect of a capacitor is known as capacitance.
- Basic function of a capacitor is to store electrical energy by building up a voltage between the metal plates.
- Capacitance is measured in Micro Farads (MF)
- Capacitors also have a voltage rating which is the maximum voltage that is normally safe to apply across the leads
- Electrolytic Capacitors are polarized( pos and Neg leads) and care must be taken when installing them.